Monday, October 17, 2011

In the Home Stretch... and it Kind of Sucks

I remember when I was about 12, my family lived in Kansas. Our house had a giant, open basement which had a bad habit of getting RIDICULOUSLY messy in a matter of days. About once a month, mom would drag us downstairs and together we would organize and clean that monstrosity.

It would take forever.

There would always come a point where we literally only had to straighten-up before we were finished. But at this point it would seem like a totally insurmountable task. I would ask if we could take a break (translation: call it a day), but mom would make us push through. Cheerfully, she would say, "We're in the home stretch!"

I hated the home stretch.

There's about two weeks until my first half-marathon. Up until now, I have been a total beast about keeping up with my training. But today, I just cannot face my run. I'm totally in the home stretch. I've worked so hard and I'm totally ready for this race! The only problem is, if I want to stay ready, I have to keep working... and I've lost all of my motivation.

Any suggestions on how to beat this???

In the mean time...
Pinned Image

2 comments:

  1. Enjoy the season you are in. I would feel the same way towards the end of football season. I was tired of playing, then 2 weeks after the season I missed it. Same thing would happen with track.

    Do two things

    1. Imagine yourself after the race with nothing to work towards and be grateful for the simple existence of the goal.

    2. Set another goal and start thinking about that. Think about the half marathon as a means not an end.

    If these don't work, go get a sundae from mcdonalds. It will make you feel so gross, you will want to go run.

    ReplyDelete